Tuesday, August 15, 2017

A Vintage Custom Ruffian!

The fine folks behind VCMEC will be very proud of my latest acquisition:


Another vintage Judy Renee Pope custom!

Because the flea market has been so bountiful lately – and the possibility of a large and expensive purchase looming in the horizon – I’ve had to be stricter than average regarding my pony budget. But when I spotted this pretty little thing on eBay a couple weeks ago, I had to relent.

She’s in much better shape than the auction photos let on; I was worried that she might need to be rehaired, and custom-quality mohair is not an easy or cheap thing to find nowadays. Just a little bit of styling, and a few minor touch ups, and she’ll be shelf-ready in no time.

(Show ready? We’ll see.)

Incidentally, because of my work schedule I haven’t made much progress on my own customs; most of my free time has been spent in car pools, which is much more amenable to quilting than it is to customizing.

Here’s the Ponies body, next to his inspiration – a G2 Warmblood that I customized for the Diorama contest a million years ago:


My roommates that year can testify that I did 90 percent of the work on that little guy in the hotel room the week of BreyerFest, using the barest minimum of art supplies. Now to see what I can do with more time and better supplies….

2 comments:

Sparky C. said...

What a lovely gal you found, and thanks so much for the VCMEC shout-out--we appreciate it! There'll be a vintage custom live show in Battle Creek next spring, if it might be of interest... Thanks again!

Suzanne said...

That body looks so much better without that foolish curly mane...! Like a bellicose version of the Western Prancer!