Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Shrinky Stablemates

Ever have one of those days where you have all the time in the world, and you can’t get one darn thing done?

Today was that day for me. Grr. Argh.

But so far I’ve managed to resist the temptation of the BreyerFest Leftover Sale, so perhaps Thursday will be a better day.

Yes, I’m deciding to go for a Chesapeake ticket. I figure all of the Events from this point forward will be even further away and less accessible, aside from any more potential Factory-centered Events, so I might as well give it a shot. I’ll be home most of the day to monitor the availability anyway.

If it happens, it happens. If it doesn’t, it doesn’t. The particulars I will sort out, if it does.

Here’s a little something I picked up at the flea market just before Kentucky – and I do mean little: a Shrinky Stablemates Bay Morgan Stallion!


The shrinkage is a little more noticeable in this photograph:


Yep, Shrinky Stablemates do exist. What’s fascinating about them is that since they are (by and large) molded out of solid acetate, they pretty much shrink at a consistent rate all over.

There is very little bending, warping or any other physical distortions, aside from the color shifting: they just get smaller and more adorable.

How much smaller, I don’t know. I guess I’ll be able to find out, now!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right; shrinky SMs tend to shrink proportionally. The color of shrinkies also tends to fade with time and sometimes that can be an advantage. I have a shrinky SM Seabiscuit from the 1989 Sears SR set that was an unusually bright orange shade of chestnut - basically, the radioactive-orange-color chestnut Breyer was producing back then. He has since faded to a much more realistic color.

Anonymous said...

I have several from the '88-92 era that are shrinkies: a rose Swaps, Arab mare in alabaster, a Native Dancer, couple of others. They look like ponies next to their buddies on the shelves.

Truson said...

No new blog post yet, in this HUGE Breyer week?? Are you well, I hope? I see you scored a ticket! :)

Anonymous said...

I too have a shrinky Stablemate. He's the G1 Quarter Horse Stallion. I've had him since the 70s. I never though much about him being one, but I bought another one in the early 00s, and the new guy is quite a bit taller, and more filled out. And he's shrinking proportionally as well. His color hasn't shifted much, since he's black. The newer one is bay.