Friday, July 15, 2016

BreyerFest is Coming

I haven’t slept in a couple of days, the office is a wreck, I’m slightly nauseous, and I’m covered in papier-mache and glitter.

On the plus side, my diorama entry is looking pretty good! It’s been coming together really well, much to my surprise and delight, so I’m hoping that I’ll be less stressed out when it doesn’t win. Unlike some of my previous nonwinning entries now hiding in the basement (because I have a hard time throwing out anything I make) I think this one will actually get to live in the office with me, regardless of the outcome.

As per my usual, I haven’t been paying much attention to this year’s auction pieces – can’t afford them, and I’m not the target market anyway – but today’s pretty little Rain definitely caught my eye:


I like the contrast between realistic (paint job) and the fantastic (the mold) with this one; she’s really quite appealing. I was beginning to think that this mold might be the “Surprise”: she’s something well-liked but not overly popular, there haven’t been too many production releases on her yet (just three: Rain, Lady Liberty, and Lionesse!), it’s a quasi-“Spanish” (Mustang) mold, and she’s even got a feather in her hair.

But it’s been a few years since they’ve put up a Surprise piece (the rarest of them, anyway) at auction, so probably not. But I am encouraged to think that maybe we’ll be seeing more of the Rain mold in the near future. Maybe as a Holiday SR of some sort? She’d make a lovely Christmas Horse, I think.

I’m still holding out hope for the Legionario! Since the Surprises have been following a Solid-Tobiano-Overo-Appaloosa pattern, and old “Legs” hasn’t had any production run Apps or Pintos, and precious few Glosses (the 1991 Florentine Raffle Model, and the 1999 Silver Filigree Grane of Gotterdammerung). So there’s lots of potential there.

Current betting favorites are either the Peruvian Paso or the Esprit, and I’d be fine with either one of those, too. I also wouldn’t rule out the Ranch Horse. (That Test Color Ranch Horse they purchase-raffled earlier this year had to be a Test for something, yes?)

I haven’t given much thought to the Volunteer Special this year, either. It will be at least one of three things: Glossy, Decorator, Vintage (Pre-Reeves) Mold.

I’m leaning towards a Deco, because (a) it’s been a while since we've had a “true” Decorator (not just Gloss) – 2003’s Gloss Charcoal Lonesome Glory, and (b) aside from of a couple of Mercado pieces, the Silent Auction Rainbow Five-Gaiter, and Funky Brown Pegasus, there seems to be relative dearth of outrageous models for a Rio-themed BreyerFest.

So there, all my predictions. Back to sanding, spackling, and quietly freaking out in the basement.

No comments: