Sunday, July 7, 2013

BreyerFest Prep 2013: Same As It Ever Was

Oh Lordy, what a weekend. The dog was so stressed out last night from the week-long fireworks barrage that at one point she actually lost her voice. Which would have been funny, if it wasn’t also scary.

(Yes, we took all the precautions necessary to keep her calm, but there’s only so much you can do when you have a slightly hyperactive dog and a neighbor with a $10,000 fireworks budget. Among other things.)

I’d like to ascribe some of the behavior I’ve seen from the model horse world in the past couple of weeks to the fireworks too, but I know it’s more complicated than that.

BreyerFest is a big part of it, of course. In my corner, I’m having to deal with AWOL roommates, some complications from a minor medical procedure, a possible hacking incident into my eBay account, and finishing all of my (still) unfinished paperwork, including some related to volunteering.

Oddly enough, most of the stress of that is washing over me. It’s not that I’m not concerned, it’s just that I’ve been through this routine enough times before that I know everything will turn out okay, even if it doesn’t. And I also know the point at which I can legitimately begin to panic.

Not there yet. A couple more days, maybe.

Other than the volunteering, and the NPOD, I will also not be going Full Metal BreyerFest this year. No costume contest, no diorama contest (probably), no running around to squeeze every drop of everything in. Selling, socializing, and just a bit of shopping, that’s it for me. Almost like a real vacation!

My volunteer schedule will even preclude me from participating in the raffles this year, which is a little bit of a bummer, since I’m kinda liking both of them, the Totilas especially. After what happened last year with the Early Bird Raffle (a friend was not present, and I had misplaced her phone number when her name was called) I’m hoping that the Fates don’t decide to pull a funny one and do the same to me.

(It’s a remote chance, at best, but if you my personal history, you know it’s just the kind of thing that would happen.)

Other than that tiny bit of speculation a few posts ago, I haven’t done much wondering about the Volunteer model, either. I genuinely don’t care who it is - that mindblowing Performance Horse, or the funky "Purple Banana" Fighting Stallion? Doesn’t matter. (Other than hoping it’s not another roan. Don’t get me wrong - I love roans! - but something different would be nice, too.)

I did manage to - finally - repurpose the article about the Modernistic Buck and Doe. I already have everything loaded to the laptop, so I’ll be able to blog at the hotel this year, provided that their network doesn’t get as overloaded as it did last year.

Next up - another neat Breyer knockoff!

No comments: