Thursday, January 26, 2012

It's Pink?

My original plan with the Breyer Blossoms program was to just buy my birth month’s horse (April) as my representative sample and ignore/bypass the rest. For all the usual reasons: no space, no money, not a lot of interest.

Judging from the photographs I’ve seen on the Breyer Facebook page, it appears that the only month I’ve seen so far that I do not like is …April. They went with a hot pink base color? Seriously?

Some daisies do come in pink; English Daisies (Bellis Perennis) have been a staple in my garden for several years now. They’re prolific, easy-to-grow, and low maintenance - essentially, a very pretty weed. But they’re not the kind of daisies that immediately spring to most folks’ minds, either.

I am not a huge fan of the color Pink. I was never a "girly girl", was never into Barbies, and my skin tone precludes me from wearing it. I don’t even use it that much in my quilting projects, even though it’s a pretty versatile and useful color, from a design perspective.

I like the other "pink" horse released this week a little better: the semi-Decorator Valentine’s Day Web Special "I’m Yours". If you haven’t seen her yet, it’s a realistic red roan Bluegrass Bandit with a kiss-shaped star, and faint kiss prints on her flanks, similar to the hearts on last year’s Huckleberry Bey.

I’m a little surprised they didn’t call her "The Kissing Bandit", but I suppose they probably didn’t want to deal with the trouble that would come their way from the parents of the more underaged components of their target audience. (The ones old enough to use Google, but not old enough yet to have had "The Talk".)

I haven’t taken a gander at the current debate about it on Blab, or elsewhere. If it’s anything like the tenor the Blab "disappeared" discussions took last week, I’m probably not missing much. I do not understand why it’s perfectly acceptable for a customizer to add exotic flourishes to a realistic paint job, but it’s an unforgivable sin if it’s part of a production paint job.

Some people like a little frou-frou, and some don’t. Depends on the model for me. I’m a tiny bit disappointed that it’s not a straight up red roan, since I already have one nonrealistic Bluegrass Bandit in the herd, but not disappointed enough to not enter for it.

What concerns me now that Reeves has moved so much of its customer interaction online is that the bugaboos and preferences of a very active, very vocal minority of those customers might end up dictating the kind of models that get released for everyone. Not everyone wants glossy, nonmetallic finishes on only conformationally-correct models by sculptors X, Y - but good heavens, not Z!

There should be room enough, and releases enough, for everyone here.

6 comments:

plastiqueponi said...

I put in for I'm Yours since the hubby liked her, but I'm more "meh" about her myself.

About time Reeves did some non deco web specials tho.

Anonymous said...

I will be happy when they decide to do some non deco web specials as well. Personally, I have no interest in deco models, and that is pretty much all they release now. Andrea, I found your blog a little over a month ago and I absolutely love it, I axiously await each of your entries.

Anonymous said...

Not a HUGE fan of the new web special. I still love my Spring has Sprung and hope they continue to do more "subtle" decos. Hoping you get an I'm Yours!

Anonymous said...

Your last paragraph is flawless.

And I also planned on buying my birth month and the months for the little ladies in my life... but dang, the models are so neat I ended up signing up for the set. The few I'm not 100% enamored with with still look great in the "bouquet"!

Anonymous said...

Personally, I don't like I'm Yours at all - not a fan of human lip prints on things. Not crazy about the color either. But then, as my husband says "that's why there's chocolate and vanilla." I kind of wish they would do a non-deco too once in awhile. I do like decos, but I'd like to see more of a mix with these specials. The Breyer blossoms actually look rather pretty, but I probably won't get them due to space issues. :)

Danielle said...

I've read your blog for a long time and never commented but this is one of the best things I've ever read. I stalk around blab more then i comment but you touched on one of my biggest peeves. It seems like everyone on blab wants a new sculpture everytime Breyer releases a new horse and are sorely disappointed when it doesnt happen. I just want to scream from the mountains "they can't sculpt something new each time! That just doesnt make any financial sense!"
I'll get off my soapbox now :)