Monday, April 11, 2011

Peaches: Daughter of Evil

This picture scared the bejeezus out of me the other day:


Hello, Scary! It’s Peaches, from the #96062 White Diamond and Peaches set, as seen in the 1997 Dapples Dealer Catalog.


Most of the Breyer Rider Dolls are a tad on the creepy and weird side, but Peaches is in a class all by herself, isn’t she? She looks like the love child of an evil circus clown. Every time I look at her picture in that catalog, I keep expecting to see a little plastic dagger in her hand. (She could probably do some serious damage with that pink hairbrush, though.)

Growing up, I never owned any Barbie dolls - or many dolls, period. Mom wasn’t against them, as far as I can remember, I just never had the interest in them. In my pre-Breyer days, I was all about crayons, comic books, and stuff animals. Oh, and cardboard boxes, too. I loved cardboard boxes so much I even "wrote" a book about them at the age of five. (It was mostly pictures - I may have been precocious, but not that precocious.)

No latent interest in dolls + an almost equal disinterest in showing performance = a box full of mostly unopened rider dolls that came with sets I bought primarily for the horse. It’s definitely a weak spot in my repertoire of Breyer trivia.

Anyway, I thought I’d remedy that lack of knowledge over the weekend by doing a little more research on them, until I ran across Peaches and stopped that notion dead in its tracks.

7 comments:

Stockstill Stables said...

I was never into dolls either. The only Breyer one I have ever owned is the Brenda that came with the Appaloosa performance horse and tack set, Shes kinda creepy too.

Anonymous said...

OMG - she does look evil! I showed my husband and he said she looks like "Bride of Chuckie" LOL I can relate with not being into dolls as a child. I played with horses and trucks. :)

BreyerRose said...

When I was four years old, some relative who didn't know I didn't play with dolls gave me a "Sparkle Plenty" doll. Who is Sparkle Plenty, you ask? I don't remember exactly except she had something to do with the Dick Tracy character in the funny papers (yes, I was born well before the first Breyers & Hartlands were made). Sparkle Plenty was one of those rubber dolls stuffed with foam and she had a long mane of blonde hair, which I liked playing with. I don't remember WHY, but I do remember that I cut off all her fingers and floated them in the bathtub with me. That was the first of the two dolls I ever owned. At age 10, I got my second doll, a wire-framed rubbery bendy Barbie precursor doll who could assume all sorts of useful positions. I think she was named Marion, a character from the 1950s television show "Topper" (Marion and her husband were ghosts). Anyhow, she became the perfect rider for my large Breyer & Hartland Western Horses, so I didn't cut her fingers off.

GWR said...

My grandmothers would make clothes for our Barbie dolls, which had more or less permanent residences in our drawers, so we'd put them on our dinosaur toys instead. Hey, they got cold, too.

eva said...

That horse is a tad bit freakish too!

Anonymous said...

Yay for the dinosaurs getting clothes! :) :)

Anonymous said...

Very glad to know I'm not the only one to dress their dinos.

Dang, I had a stuffed vulture (hooray for traveling carnivals!) that fit perfectly into Cabbage Patch clothes...