Monday, January 17, 2011

Molded On Tack

I never did get around to talking about the Quarter Horse Gelding, did I?

I was never much of a Bonanza fan - I have nothing anything Westerns per se, it just never clicked with me - so I have no idea how appropriate a mold the Quarter Horse Gelding is for Chub. I certainly don’t object to the selection: the more Quarter Horse Geldings, the better, as far as I’m concerned.

It does seem a little odd to me that we’re seeing him in Bay, again: he's now up to four Bay production runs:
  • 99 Gloss Bay (ca. 1960-1966)
  • SR Matte Bay (ca. mid-1980s)
  • 410401 Riding Academy Set (2001 J.C. Penney’s XMAS SR)
  • 1453 Chub
Dude's getting almost as bad as the Hanoverian or the Trakehner! To make matters worse, he’s even been used to test other shades of bay, including this one for the Dan Patch release of the Pacer:


(He doesn't seem like an obvious choice to test a Pacer's paint job, does he? It took me a couple of months to realize duh, it was the halter.)

Fortunately, each of these Bays is different enough in markings, shading or finish for misidentification to be fairly minimal. The only issue some collectors might have is with the Matte Bay SR, who is so rare that many are either completely unaware of his existence, or mistake him for something else entirely. (Something I discussed in greater detail back in May 2009.)

It’s funny that until recently, I never gave much thought to the Gelding’s molded-on halter, until the whining from hobby’s peanut gallery made it an issue again.

A not-insignificant number of the earlier Breyer molds came with molded-on tack and accessories: the Western Horse and Pony, the Fury/Prancer, the Racehorse, the Walking Angus Bull, both versions of the Poodle, and the Western Prancing Horse. What’s interesting is that most of these molded-on tack molds were derived from - or at the very least, were inspired by - molds from other manufacturers.

(FYI: The "most" part of the previous sentence will be addressed in my next post.)

It makes me wonder if the Quarter Horse Gelding was derived from a still-unidentified secondary source. It wouldn’t surprise me at all, if it did. Grand Wood Carving - the Chicago-based company that inspired Breyer’s Woodgrain finish, and at least three other Breyer molds - is the most likely suspect. My reference materials are a little thin in that department, though, so it’s going to have to remain a hunch for now.

3 comments:

Stockstill Stables said...

Another interesting thing is many of the old QH trophies have a topper of a stablemate sized halterless version of this mold. At one time I actually cut one off the trophy and repainted him as Silver.

https://www.noveltytrophies.com/store/prodimages/special/animal/PDU-731-G_th.jpg

Little Black Car said...

I love this mold, although, oddly, I don't currently own any since my "silver"/gray, palomino, red dun overo, and SR seal bay fell prey to emergency culling a few years ago. I love that test run! Aargh!

Ponyscribbles said...

Oh my GOSH how funny! I just realized that I HAVE one of those trophies! (I don't collect the QHG mold, so I have an excuse for not noticing...)

Funnier still, I got this trophy from a model horse show, so I guess that brings things full-circle for sure.