Monday, September 27, 2010

When Hobbies Collide

I totally forgot that I had to pick up and reassemble my Art Deco vanity set today. We had to take it in to our furniture guy to get it cleaned and reglued. Not refinished - good heavens, no. It has a beautiful, slightly worn patina, and I have a suspicion that it might actually be worth something. I doubt it’s actually a Donald Deskey piece, but whoever did design it was definitely familiar with his style.

I love it, regardless. I got it as a birthday present about 25 years ago, right when I was just getting into Art Deco. I still fantasize about owning a genuine Art Deco bungalow, with topiaries in the yard sculpted into strict geometric shapes and a mantle showcasing my Modernistic Bucks and Does.

Funny how my seemingly unconnected hobbies and interest tend to collide with one another like that. You wouldn’t think that you’d be able to link Breyer models with the Art Deco movement, but yes, you can.

It’s fairly well known that Breyer didn’t design the Modernistic Buck and Doe; they were originally designed for Nosco Plastics in Erie, Pennsylvania by a man named Don Manning. We’re not entirely sure how Breyer ended up with the molds, yet, but I did find another tantalizing lead during my last research trip.

But we’re not going to talk about the Buck and Doe today. Nope, I’m just going to show you another example of my hobbies colliding. Notice anything familiar with last Sunday’s Prince Valiant? (Click to enlarge.)


Did Andalusians even exist as a breed during King Arthur’s time? Hmm.

A lot of comic illustrators have issues with the equine form, but thankfully Gary Gianni’s not one of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Did Andalusians even exist as a breed during King Arthur’s time?"

Depends on what you mean by 'Andalusian' or what time period you're figuring King Arthur existed. Iberians had the first written pedigrees in Europe in the 1200s, the first official stud farms in Andalusia were in the 1400s, but they were just called the Spanish or Iberian horse for hundreds of years.

FWIW, though, I've seen photographs of horses in the same odd pose as Breyer's newer Traditional Andalusian, so it wouldn't have to be related to the model. Here's one example, except with head up:
http://tinyurl.com/3yv4db2