Thursday, September 28, 2023

Scurrying About

Things are… better. And I’ll leave it at that. And I have to work this Saturday, too, but that’s mostly unrelated. It sets me behind a bit on my crafting, but I can’t argue with the paycheck! 

I am still moderately amused that I was not chosen for a Yellowstone, even from multiple waitlists. It just slays me that their efforts to make some Special Runs “easier” to acquire (i.e. significantly larger piece runs) usually result in making it harder for me. 

Aiming for the big stuff seems to be working out better, at least for now. I’ll pick up a Yellowstone eventually. 

I was thinking about going to BreyerWest next year, but the flights are all significantly more expensive than my Wyoming adventure was, so it might be a no-go. Off to research Derby tickets, I guess!

(Yikes! Maybe that wasn’t such a great idea either.)

Anywho, the rest of my week is full of meetings and appointments, I’ll keep it short again today. Here’s a better picture of my two Scurries, one of whom is actually a variation of a variation, but one that wasn’t necessarily planned for: 

I find it amusing that the two choices I made on my one and only ticket this year were both 50/50 variation splits. Considering that they were among the less popular choices this year, you think they would have included the variants in them to encourage sales, instead of including them in runs that would have sold out regardless, like Peanutine, and (eventually) Speos.

I also wasn’t overly enamored of them using Hamilton as the Surprise model this year – not because they didn’t turn out nice (most of the color options were really well done) but because it now sets an uncomfortable precedent.

Instead of the unpredictability that was part and parcel of the Surprise before, there’s now going to be an expectation that the Surprise must be the Current Hotness, and if you’ve had more than half of a day’s experience in the Model Horse Internet, you know that for the loudest voices among them that nothing else will now suffice. 

And if Reeves accedes to that demand, the Surprise will no longer be all that… surprising. Or for me, all that interesting.

(Still annoyed that we didn’t get an Old Timer this year. I know the reasons why, but I would have paid that premium, dammit.)

7 comments:

Pam N. said...

I agree on the Old Timer!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Is your Scurry without the spots a planned variation or just a factory oops?

ANDREA said...

The lack of spots is a factory oops.

Anonymous said...

Andrea, that’s awesome! There probably isn’t another Scurry like it out there AND it came home with you!

Carrie said...

That's a choice pair there! And glad to hear things got a bit better. =D

Anonymous said...

I had a “waitlist” Yellowstone for sale or trade on Blab, even offered it at cost to someone if they wanted it, and not a single inquiry on it from anyone. I let it go back to the next waitlist, so maybe you’ll get it that way.

Anonymous said...

Hell I seen someone offer their Yellowstone at cost just plus pp fees since it was cost. They got chewed out for doing that. That is the only time I would pay the fee, if someone is kind enough to sell at cost.