Saturday, January 22, 2022

Breyer Breeds

We interrupt our normally scheduled nitpicking of BreyerFest Special Run announcements to bring you this important news: Black Man o’ War!

https://www.breyerhorses.com/collections/new/products/thoroughbred-breyer-breeds

There’s a whole mess of these “Breyer Breeds” models that popped up on the web site Wednesday morning, and alas, there went one of my New Year’s Resolutions, right out the window. (Still holding fast to the other two, so far.)

I have long been an advocate of releasing older molds in simple, modern-style paint jobs, and it looks like I finally got my wish? In a way, this new series of models harkens back to the Breyer releases in the 1960s through the early 1990s, when the majority of models were meant as generic representations of certain breeds or types, and not necessarily as portrait models. 

It sometimes led to some pretty boring models, but I think that was more a function of the technical limitations of the time, rather than the concept itself. I mean, I love my #206 Bay Old Timer, but that shade of Bay is pretty bland. In contrast, look how fabulous Roemer looks in a modern style Silver Bay:

https://www.breyerhorses.com/collections/new/products/warmblood-breyer-breeds

I was tempted to buy all six, but I managed to restrain myself and only bought four: I’ll save the Sporthorse Black Beauty and the Percheron Roy for future sales promotions. 

It was my hope that a promotion like this would come with somewhat cheaper prices, and when I found them and bought mine, they were 34.99. That price didn’t last long, but my original order hasn’t been canceled or revised… yet. 

I know nothing else about this program, incidentally: quantities, duration, future releases, what have you.  I am just happy to have some of my favorite molds in new and pretty colors.

7 comments:

Hokieponiez said...

I thought of you as soon as I saw the Man O' War! Hope you are staying warm it's bitter cold here right now.

timaru star ii said...

I'm so glad to hear you got one!

Adah R. (Spotted Dreams Studio) said...

If you add 1000 of each model to your cart, and then minus one each once in your cart, a notice comes up stating how many are left in stock. It was in the 300-400 a piece when I looked. It sounds weird, but it really works!

ANDREA said...

It is also brutally cold here! I want to hibernate, but it looks like I'll be on mandatory OT for the next several weeks. Bleh.

The cart trick isn't necessarily helpful: we don't know how many were originally loaded into the system, how many have sold so far, and whether or not they will be restocked in the future.

Adah R. (Spotted Dreams Studio) said...

Oh I know that, I was just sharing it for the folks who were concerned about ordering before the current batch runs out. :)

Unknown said...

I also thought "Andrea is going to freak out" when I saw the MOW

Lost in an 80's Fog said...

Goshdarnit, did they have to release the Trakhaner in that lovely red chestnut? I do not need another Trakhaner. I really don't. But I might need that one. So, uh, thanks for indirectly alerting me to his existence? I normally look only at SM-related emails from Breyer and might legitimately have missed him, had I not been checking out that snazzy black MoW.