Friday, September 24, 2021

Buy It Anyway

You’d think I’d be pretty blasé about just about everything Breyer by now, and by and large I am, but sometimes even I see things that leave me a little stupefied. 

During my lunch break at work last night (a little after 3 a.m. Eastern, in case you’re wondering), I’m noshing on my cheese and crackers and window shopping on eBay, until this mystery pops up on the computer screen: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165089494902?ViewItem=&item=165089494902

My first reaction was (naturally) What the what?

When confronted with models of a questionable nature, it’s generally a good idea to err on the side of caution. Most things are – or turn out to be – absolutely ordinary items that we misinterpret due to a combination of bad photography and wishful thinking. 

I always shake my head when I see things get priced or bid up to some crazy figure in the hope that it’s something that, to my eyes, it is obviously not. (Chalkies and Glossies, ahem.)

Anyway, I had no idea what I was looking at, but it appeared to be Original Finish, it was located in New Jersey, it was cheap, and the postage was free. All that added up to the right side of questionable to me!

So that’s when I discovered how to do a Buy It Now on eBay as a Guest, because of course I couldn’t remember any of my passwords for any of my accounts, because it was 3 a.m. and I thought I would just killing a little time on the Internet.

I guess this might make up for missing out on that pretty sweet Albino Five-Gaiter a few weeks back? Guess I’ll find out in about a week! 

And even if it isn’t all that, the monetary investment was pretty minimal. I’ve spent more on raffle tickets that have gotten me bupkis. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I hope you found a genuine test! His eyes are so lovely! But I cringe at where the reins are attached. WHY would ANYONE drill holes into his muzzle and not the corners of his mouth? But he's super cool, his eyes are exceptional and I hope he turns out to be 100% OF for you. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing! I would however, be careful posting things you don't have in hand. There are some a-holes who search them out, then tell the seller how much they are worth/they will offer XXX more right now, and that seller refunds the money. Been there, had it done to me on a 4-eye Misty. Also had someone snipe a Deco out from under me when it was in a different city and I was looking for someone to pick it up from FB Marketplace.

So now I wait for all my new pretties to be in hand before I post. :(

ANDREA said...

I waited for the shipping confirmation, it's all good!

The only serious post-purchase snipers I've had to deal with have been in-person transactions at both BreyerFest and at the flea market. (Yeah, really!)