Monday, November 30, 2020

More Models, More Problems

Because you asked for it, here’s another unexpected treat from the collection I bought a while back:

I knew there was a Traditional Man o’ War in the lot; I didn’t realize until I unpacked it that it also happened to have a Blue Ribbon Sticker. 

And since I didn’t (yet) have a Traditional Man o’ War with the “large” version of the Blue Ribbon Sticker, he has to stay. As I stated previously, Traditional Man o’ Wars are one of the few molds that get a pass on my “no more variations” rule. 

This fellow doesn’t necessarily provide me any more data than my previous 15+ Traditional Man o’ Wars do – other than provide additional confirmation that the airbrushed gray hooves variation was concurrent with at least part of the “Big Sticker” era (1969-1970). There is no USA on this pretty boy, so he’s likely a 1969 or early 1970 release.

His color is also gorgeous in person, so there’s that, too. (He does need a bit of cleaning up, though. Whenever I can find the time.)

But seriously, after this weekend’s online escapades (in addition to my Breyer Black Friday purchases, I also bought another Old Timer variation on eBay) I really have to keep new models to a minimum for the rest of the year. The collection is long overdue for a reorganization, and more models at this point will just mean more problems, you know?

(With a possible exemption for the forthcoming Winter Web Animal that everyone thinks is a Bear. Long story: basically the Bear and Cub mold also get a pass from me.)

This does not mean a big sale is forthcoming: I have also been asked by a good neighbor to help her downsize. Once I’m cleaned up here to my satisfaction (all sales/duplicates separated, toted and put into storage), a big chunk of my “spare” time for at least a few months going forward will be spent occupied with this task. 

That means most of my model sales stuff will probably packed away until early Spring, along with my uncertainties about BreyerFest, the flea market season, and pretty much everything else. 

3 comments:

timaru star ii said...

He really is a beautiful color!

Picking up a horse and cleaning it happen simultaneously in my herd. Anything that can't be cured by dusting and licking and rubbing, I confess, qualifies as repair.

Suzanne said...

What a stroke of luck! He is gorgeous. My own Man O' War is a bit dull, but I'm not very good about selling duplicates, so I'll only get another if he nearly falls into my lap.

I'd sell sooner rather than later- I think the people who have money to spend are getting stir-crazy and blowing off steam by shopping. And the people who don't have money are giving in to nostalgia and shopping...*sigh* interesting times!

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing! So fun to see your new vintage finds and especially any unusual variaions! This Man 'O War sure has light fetlocks. He almost has socks! And the blue ribbon sticker is icing on the cake!