Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Good Things Come in Tiny Packages

My schedule is already apparently back to “normal” and to celebrate, I went out and bought a few more Walmart Stablemates. Nothing especially noteworthy about the lot of them; I still need to find the G3 Quarter Horse in Dark Bay and (of course!) the Carbonated Grape Unicorn Chase piece continues to elude me. 

But I’ll wait on those two. That purple unicorn seems to be getting more common over time, so – like the Rainbow Magnolia – I think I’ll be able to avoid having to pay the online premium for it.  

The 70th Anniversary Stablemate 24-piece Displayers are also back in stock – or were so earlier today – so I also have that coming to me. I know it’s technically not on the “discontinued” list, but I’m tired of trying to track down boxes locally, only to find them completely picked over. 

I’ll see if I can resist the temptation to open them until a significant holiday (or other reason to celebrate) arrives. 

A third – and for the moment, final – Stablemate purchase was made some time back, but I hadn’t bothered to photograph it until recently because other things have gotten in the way, as they do:

I decided to do “full retail” on this purchase because it doesn’t look like a purchase of a Gloss Dapple Gray Belgian is going to happen any time soon, and the money I had designated specifically for that purpose rather neatly accommodated this one. 

I felt a little guilty at first, but then a few days ago I was looking at some recently ended auctions on eBay of what I consider somewhat less scarce vintage NIP Stablemates, I don’t feel so guilty now.

Boxed Sears Wishbook Stablemates have been grail items for Stablemates collectors even before other boxed Wishbook horses became something worth collecting, mostly because the boxes are so darn cute. 

I mean, seriously, they need to make these miniature carton boxes a thing for the Stablemates Club one of these years. Don’t get me wrong, the little yellow boxes are great, but these are reusable and therefore logically superior.

Sure, I would have loved to have gotten her for a lower price, but they can’t all be bargains. But being cheap most of the time means the occasional “Good gravy, what have I done?” purchase is only momentarily discomforting.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

"Good gravy, what have I done?"- that's the G-rated version of what ran through my head after buying another palomino Western Prancer this morning...because he's my fifth palomino Prancer! I'm not intentionally collecting variations, rather I want to try customizing one or two. But once the little guys show up, I find them adorable and unique
despite all the rubs and flaws...

Lost in an 80's Fog said...

Great buy on the boxed SM Arab mare. I saw her but now is not the time to be splurging on (still more) tiny treasures, even one as enticing as she is. Glad she's with someone who might let me oogle her and her adorable box from time to time ;)

In case any Reeves employees are watching your blog: Love and adore the mini me stablemates made from Traditional molds. Is it too much to hope for shrinky dinks of the ML classic models too? I can only imagine the feeding frenzy over the family sets and Kelso....