Sunday, July 21, 2019

BreyerFest 2019, Part 2

It never fails to amaze me how long it takes me to unpack after Kentucky. I am still finding stray misplaced bits and pieces in the car...

On the plus side, I did manage to keep better track of my inventory this time, so that part didn’t take quite as long to sort out as it did last year.

Anyway, I did manage to accomplish most of what I wanted to do in Kentucky: sold a lot of stuff, managed to survive the weather, incurred no significant accidents or damage to self, secured the three SRs I wanted the most (Bucky, Rocket and the 30th Anniversary Stablemates Set) and stayed pretty much on budget.

The Ninja Fortune Bag promotion was successful, I had a bunch of wonderful conversations with friends old and new, got into some deeply nerdy discussions about obscure Breyer History, and I saw Cookie in person. 

I got to participate in – or witness – several special moments: a little girl asking me “Why are they all so beautiful?”; a woman who declared she had only fifty cents left in her budget for the day – and then proceeded to find a long-lost favorite book in my fifty-cent paperback pile; and a couple of instances of Horse Dads being heartbreakingly attentive to their special needs daughters. 

(My own Horse Dad took me to the Kentucky Horse Park in 1979 to make up for the family’s legendary but otherwise not-so-great Redneck Roadtrip. And let me pick out a Breyer horse from the gift shop: a Black Appaloosa Running Stallion. That I still have.)

(Sniffles)

By most objective measures, the trip was largely successful. Yet…

Of course, and as I mentioned before, I received none of the variations, won none of the contests or raffles I entered, and I found absolutely nothing in the NPOD worth bringing home.

I found myself (again) wishing that I could somehow change the laws of probability so that luck was more than just random, but also fair. That there would be more people on the receiving end of a little BreyerFest magic, and perhaps a few less who find themselves multiply blessed.

I am fine. I am more than fine, compared to where I was last year. And I’ve had my share of wonderful times past. But still, I wonder: when will it be my turn to hold the brass ring, again?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No worries...there is a lot of us out there with "pee poor luck!"

Lysette said...

I know the feeling! Perhaps I just went in with high expectations this being my 30th BF and all, but I was a bit let down this year. I got the anniversary SMs, which was a bit of a happy surprise, but I was down about spending Friday sick and then missing out on Banner--I really wanted him since I board at a Saddlebred barn and he is likely to be the closest thing to my dreamed of red bookend for Merlin I am liable to get. Guess I know what I'm hunting next year! Didn't wind up with any oddities, though since I have pulled a couple of glossies over the years I can't really complain.