Friday, November 30, 2018

Opinions On Fruitcake Are Always Divided

My week ended rather well, and there was money in the Paypal account. So dear readers, I bought them:



I won’t know which ones I get until Christmas Eve – that’s when we open gifts in these parts, even the ones we buy for ourselves. Although the Green one is my favorite, I’ll just be happy to get two different colors.

The Fruitcake Fillies are, of course, a reiteration of the 2013 BreyerFest Special Run Birthday Cake Stablemate – in Coral, Blue, Green and Purple, instead of the original Pink.

Releases like these are the reason I abandoned my attempt to create and standardize Breyer color descriptions. The web page describes it as thus:
The Highland Pony sports four different fruit-inspired looks for the holidays: metallic pearly purple, blue, green, and coral appaloosa. Each has a shaded coat, high gloss finish and multi-color spotting.
So would I call it Candy Sprinkle Appaloosa? Fruitcake Appaloosa? Frosted Animal Cracker? Purple Monkey Dishwasher? Or simply go with what I was using before, Decorator Birthday Cake?

There’s been some consternation over the price of these ponies – $24.95 apiece – but it is comparable to Stablemates Club releases, and not much more than BreyerFest One-Day Stablemates. These are all releases that have four-figure piece counts, while there are only 500 pieces of each of the four different colors.

And while I am not an advocate of treating your models as investments (in fact, quite the contrary!), Stablemates in general – and lower piece run Stablemates in particular (under 2000 pieces) – have tended to be better-than-average in that department.

If you like them, buy them. If you don’t, then don’t. Or wait, and hope the price drops eventually. It might, it might not.

I had no idea Flockies would ever be the big deal that they are, and I don’t regret one bit not buying the ones I could have. They just were not my thing.

I have what feels like a million and one things to do this weekend and I suppose I should get cracking on that list ASAP, so that’s all for today, folks.

1 comment:

timaru star ii said...

I like Decorator Birthday Cake. That nails it.