Sunday, July 22, 2018

Derpy Winner

By request, the Classic Ruffian with the derpy markings:


Classic Chicago factory quality control, ca. 1977! Close enough is good enough, am I right?

She’s super-dark with nice shading, too – a bit of light restoration and she’d probably be live show quality. Depending on the judges sense of humor.

Though I do have a small collection of unusual early Love Classic Racehorse variations, she was not something I was necessarily looking for. I did find that lovely variation of the Palomino earlier in the year, but like that girl, this was more a purchase of opportunity.

I heard reports that many of the Icabad Cranes had markings that were similarly askew, but I didn’t see anything particularly eyebrow-raising when I went to pick mine out Saturday afternoon.

And if there was, I might have actually gone with it anyway. Unless it’s something that’s really distracting – or clearly impossible – it’s something I regard more as a neat variation than a true flaw.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you show us the bay Prancer? Pretty please???

LostInAn80sFog said...

That's some serious derp going on with the star placement on your Ruffian. Totally something I would have gravitated to, back in the day, but alas, all mine were far more normal. LOVE this one's color too. A great find for a racing-themed Breyerfest in my book. Thanks for showing her to us.

Mary @ StaleCheerios said...

How funny!

I have many of the early classics and multiples of some of them.

It really fascinates me how much variation there was on some of these models. Dark coloring, light coloring, various socks, different facial markings.

But the star on this Ruffian is just too silly. :)

~Mary