Monday, April 30, 2018

Being Little

No new models (or other flea market goodies) to report over the weekend. The weather was still miserable cold, and since much of the “company” that arrived on Saturday had not yet departed by Sunday, it seemed like a good idea to sleep in and catch up on my TV time.

I do not know what’s up with the conflicting One-Day Stablemates clues, either. And personally, it doesn’t matter too much to me what molds they end up being, new or old.


Sure, the G1s would have been nice, and I’m not completely discounting them reappearing in some form just yet. But we old farts have to remember that most of those molds are well over 50 years old at this point. Regardless of their physical state, they are both chronologically and stylistically old.

While it is true that longtime and long-term collectors buy a ton of them, One-Day Stablemates are primarily designed for the more casual attendees. Those kinds of attendees prefer newer and trendier molds, whether they are anatomically or conformationally correct or not.

I have become somewhat fond of the sensible, no-nonsense G4 Driving Horse mold of late anyway, so if that really is one of the four, I won’t be disappointed! (The color/finish combo they go with on him is probably moot. Gloss would be nice: he hasn’t had any official Gloss releases, yet.)

Since we’re on the topic of Stablemates, here’s a picture of my Stablemates Club Aiden, with a Pocket Box Cats pack I haven’t opened yet. Taxes took a bigger bite out of my budget than I realized, so those spiffy socks I’ve been aching for will have to wait a bit longer:


His paint job is amazing – something that wouldn’t have been possible on Stablemates even a few years ago – and of course, the box is so cute.

But gosh, this mold seems so tiny, especially when compared to other recent Stablemates releases. It’s almost like he’s his own separate scale.

Now, none of the Stablemates across the different generations are perfectly to the claimed 1:32 scale – either internally to each generation, or across generations. Consistency is hard to achieve when you use multiple sculptors and multiple mold makers over the course of several decades.

But the Valegro/Aiden mold feels so small, I’m finding it a little off putting. My brain wants to “read” him as a pony, but it’s obvious that he’s not meant to be a pony.

I’m not bothered enough to resell him, though: Stablemates of almost any kind, outside of duplicates, rarely leave my orbit. Being little does have its advantages, I guess!

1 comment:

LostInAn80sFog said...

Tiny Valegro looks like he'd make a cute sport pony.