Sunday, December 10, 2017

An Early Chalky Western Horse

Since my back has been really bothering me the past several days (it’s nothing serious, just a chronic condition that periodically flares up) I’ll have to kick my commentary about that announcement Reeves made last week down the road a couple of days:

https://www.breyerhorses.com/index.php?pageId=13261

I want to add a bit of historical context to discussion, but my mobility issues have been putting a serious damper on my research abilities. (Note to self: buy smaller, lighter binders.)

But today I’ll spotlight what I hope is going to be one of my last eBay purchases for the year: a ca. 1951/52 Chalky Palomino Western Horse with black hooves, o-link reins and a high-grommet saddle!


Yeah, he’s not in the best of shape. That I attribute to his age: he was among the earliest Breyer models manufactured for sale independent of the clock, and Breyer probably still hadn’t realized that items sold as playthings will take more of a beating than a clock that sits on a mantel!

I had the opportunity to purchase a beautiful and near-mint Chalky White Western Horse at a very early BreyerFest and passed, and have regretted it ever since. This guy was cheap, and y’all know I’m not a huge stickler for condition.

But I know what some of you are thinking: What’s up with the Gray saddle?

Guys, it’s probably the least interesting part of him: it’s just a Brown saddle, faded to Gray. The only thing truly unusual about it is how nice and even the fading is, which suggests to me that it’s more than simply the result of sun-fading:


Again, it’s something I’d attribute to the earliness of his manufacturing. They were still in the earliest stages of figuring out this toy horse thing. Maybe this particular batch of brown plastic was not particularly color-fast?

We would not get true Gray/Graywashed plastic saddles until ca.1961/2, with the debut of the Western Prancing Horse, and it would not be until 1966/67 that we would see something similar on the Western Horse and Pony.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have one of these and in the last ten years or so he went all "shrinky" on me and the plastic has cracked and shriveled all around his back legs. You would think since he's been around since the 50's he wouldn't go "bad" on my watch, but he unfortunately did. For no reason I can discern. He is on a high shelf with a bunch of other Breyers (including a Breyer clock) and they are all fine. I put his saddle and o-linked reins on another western horse but I haven't been able to actually throw this guy away. I mean, he's not good or stable for anything, but I don't want to trash him, so he is still sitting up there leaning on other horses for support. :(

timaru star ii said...

I'm so glad someone else noticed the Rekedal appt. I look forward to your commentary. Meanwhile thanks for the Old Westie stuff!

draelynkhar said...

one of these was my first breyer, I found her when I was at a thrift store when I was REALLY young, and didn't know what breyer was. Theres no USA mark or breyer mark, and her hooves are grey, shes soft of glossy without being as glossy as my PAM and PAF whites,,, but oh how I loved and still ove this old horse