Thursday, August 31, 2017

Are You Serious?

I thought my budget was safe.

The flea market has been relatively uneventful, the pickings slim on the thrift store circuit, nothing’s out at my local Tractor Supply yet, the Tuesday Mornings were mostly cleaned out by the time I got to them, and even Craigslist has been quiet…

And then my brother shows me this ad, and my world gets turned upside down:

http://rowleyauctions.com/community-event/outstanding-45-year-collection-auction/

Are you kidding me?

A live auction with real, honest-to-goodness Vintage Carousel Horses that’s literally a twenty-minute walk from the house?

Gee, thanks again, Universe.

To give you some evidence of the seriousness of my desire to own the “ultimate” model horse, behold the cover art of the second (!) issue of my MGR Sampler, from 1995:


Now I find myself doing the math to figure out if buying one of the fixer-uppers is actually feasible. As long as I stay away from the Dentzel or the Greyhound I might be fine, right? (I have been eyeing the tragic, screaming pinto on top of page two. I think he needs me.)

Yeah, right. It’ll probably devolve into me taking lots of notes and pictures while I mutter cuss words to myself the moment every piece soars past my teeny budget. (They just bid HOW MUCH on that pile of horse parts? Are you ******* kidding me?)

I might not be able to afford one, but can’t not go, either. Carousel parts do turn up at the flea market and local antique malls from time to time, as there used to be a considerable number of amusement parks in this area.

It has been a while since I have seen a genuine carousel animal, though. (I think that one that did turn up around here ended up being spotlighted on an episode of Antiques Roadshow?) I cannot pass up the opportunity to see over a dozen for auction, so close to me.

It’s just more proof that I pretty much do live in the best model horse shopping zone in the U.S., outside of the Reeves Warehouse.

5 comments:

Cate said...

I've got to say, I live only a 25 minute drive from the warehouse and being perfectly honest, there isn't much here. I never see any models at flea markets and such.

ANDREA said...

I'm talking about the contents of the interior of the warehouse itself. (Which would be my "ultimate Breyer shopping experience".

timaru star ii said...

From my point of view, the only way to cure carousel horse fever is invest in a modern fibreglass one. The fever is real.

Cate said...

That would be incredible!

Truson said...

Here is my philosophy: you only live once and tomorrow is NEVER promised. If it's your dream to own one, DO IT and figure out the logistics later. I have heard too many people on their deathbeds saying what all they wish they had done. NOBODY ever dies saying that they had too much fun or enjoyed too much, they only ever regret what they never did.