Sunday, July 2, 2017

And Then, This Shoebox Turns Up...

Well, that was a pretty spectacular start to the flea market this morning, as I found it:


Yep, that’s four Monrovia Hagen-Renakers in a shoebox, including a DW Arabian Foal Fez, a Buckskin Quarter Horse Stallion, and a Bay Thoroughbred Mare and Foal.

Except for a tiny flea bite on the Foal, all mint. The shading on the Mare is especially pretty, too!

I don’t normally brag about the prices – or at least, give them out – but since those four aren’t going anywhere anytime soon, this time I will.

Five dollars for the whole box!

I nearly passed out, quite literally. As in, I had to lean against the car for a moment to steady myself. It’s about the best find I’ve had in years, in terms of cost-to-value.

I find the occasional broken or chipped H-R, and there are always a few Miniatures floating around somewhere – I found an Eaglet to match my Bald Eagle last week, for instance – but Hagens of this age and quality are a real rarity for me.

I knew I was about due for some good Clinkies (well, more Clinkies after the Boehm Schnauzer) but ooh boy, I was not ready for this. I would have been happy with a box containing their Breyer counterparts, for the same price. And those I could have sold, at least….

(FYI: All the other non Hagen bits are coming to Kentucky.)

The rest of the flea market was pretty darn good, too. No Breyers, but just about everything else a girl could hope for, including a cute Walker-Renaker Dog, another piece of Aquarium Furniture, an odd little wooden purse made out of an ancient cigar box and a plastic suitcase handle(!) and a beautiful little oil painting of a woodland scene that looks straight out of Tolkien. (But isn’t. Probably predates it by a couple of decades.)

So yes, a very good day at the flea market. The kind of day you want to capture in a bubble forever.

Back to my prep.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

O_O

Wow. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

*thud*

Corky said...

I never have luck like that at flea markets. Congratulations!

LostInAn80sFog said...

I would be gobsmacked to find treasures like that. I'm gobsmacked just reading about it. Congratulations, and thanks for giving hope to the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

Hey are you going to breyerfest-your amazing!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Five bucks?!?! That's all for that amazing boxload? I'm never that lucky. I guess it's the part of the country you live in. I used to live in MI--Dearborn Heights, on Weddel St. to be exact. Between Dartmouth and Colgate. I see you have a hard plastic Fighting Stallion knockoff. I do too, and mine is very small--3" tall--3 1/4" long. I found him in the property across the street from me, under a flattened cardboard box. He was intact, except his paint was gone completely on the side facing the elements(I don't know how long he'd been out there). I cleaned him up, sanded his seams, and did a black stallion repaint on him. He's been shown, and even has a NAN card.