Thursday, October 6, 2016

My Jet Run

With the Event now just a week away, it seemed like a good time to dig out my original Jet Run, so I did:


He was in storage for a while, so I had forgotten just how nice mine was – dark, pretty, with no significant flaws! Almost live show quality, if I were considering it (maybe next year).

Jet Runs tend to be a little bit lighter than mine, sometimes drifting into Olive Bay or even Buckskin territory, though I wouldn’t necessarily call the darker ones rarer or more desirable than any other variation. Jet Run – and his cohorts Might Tango and Keen – are rather lightly collected molds, even for Classics.

They don’t command much attention or money, unless they are exceptional or special in some way. I happen to think mine is, but he’s not going anywhere, so the point is moot.

Mine has a B mold mark, which I had also forgotten about. It makes sense that he has one: I did get the set for Christmas in 1981, during the “Propionate” era ca. 1979-1983. (When Breyer briefly switched from Cellulose Acetate to the Cellulose Acetate Propionate, with mixed results.)

The USET Set came out in late 1980, so examples with the mark are easily identifiable as earlier pieces.

If I recall correctly the other two members of my set are also pretty good, especially the Keen; manufacturing quality in the early 1980s could be a bit iffy – the contents of every box truly were a “surprise” – so I lucked out with my set.

3 comments:

Truson said...

I'm not making the connection here...how is it that Jet Run relates to the event? Because the real horse was an eventer? Or did you just make a slip here and reveal something? ;)

ANDREA said...

Jet Run was Michael Matz's show jumping partner in the late 1970s and early 1980s!

Truson said...

Ah, okay! I thought maybe you had some insider SR info! ;)