Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snowpocalypse Now

I can’t believe I have to go in to work tonight - on Snowpocalypse Eve. My boss just called and told me I didn’t have to work in the morning, which is sort of meaningless, since I’ll probably still be working from the night before. Or on my way home, if I’m lucky…

For no particular reason, I was thinking about the Classic Lipizzan mold today. It’s been quite a while since we’ve seen him last - in 2003 and 2004, as the 3365 Mystical Pegasus. And even longer since we’ve seen him as an actual Lipizzan, the last being a shaded Alabaster Special Run made for the touring show "The Wonderful World of Horses," in the 1990s (starting in 1993, and running until …well, I don’t know. Through most of the 1990s, at least. It was one of those open-ended Specials.)


This guy's the regular run #620, with better-than-average shading. Early ones tended to have extra facial shading and more pronounced ventral stripes. The two later SR Alabasters - the 1992 German SR, and the touring show SR - had grayer hooves, and more body shading.

Most of his releases have been of the fantastical type - either as Pegasi, or Unicorns - in various shades of Black, White or (inexplicably) Blue. I’m not a huge fan of the fantasy horses, but I do like the Lipizzan mold, so I have most of them. But not all: y’all know I don’t do flockies. I have not been, and never will be, in the market for one of those creepy flocked blue things from the 1985 J. C. Penney’s Christmas Catalog. (They disturb me so much I prefer to not even acknowledge their existence, most days. Glass eyes = Always a bad idea, Custom or OF.)

There’s a possibility that we’ll see the mold again at BreyerFest, if his prior history is any indication. They’ve already announced an SR Unicorn, so there has to be an SR Pegasus in the mix somewhere, and he’s the most logical candidate.

I’m okay with that, as long as they do something a little more original with his coloring - a wild Dark Dappled Gray (like the Traditional Pluto release of Embajador IX) would look pretty neat, as would a Charcoal or (swoon!) Silver Filigree. Anything Decoratory will do, just as long as they don’t fall back on their "Pastel Alabaster" cliché.

If I had the preference, I’d rather have him back as a plain old Lipizzan, again - no wings, no horns, no unnatural colors. He doesn’t have to be some shade of Aged Gray or Alabaster, either: there are all sorts of historical colors to choose from - Pintos, Appaloosas, Duns - but I’d be cool with a Dark Dappled Gray, too.

What I’m really pining for is a simple, straight up Bay. I’m not asking for anything fancy - a little bit of white, a little pangare, a hint of shimmer - all the usual details they pack on a standard OF paint job nowadays. I just hope that if they do make one - for BreyerFest, or any other occasion - they are not quite as rare as the real thing.

7 comments:

Lysette said...

I remember a lovely test Appaloosa pegasus someone had at the swap meet at BF one year. That fellow was certainly tempting!

Little Black Car said...

I'm always good for a dappled mahogany bay, too. Or a black that actually has some shading.

GWR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GWR said...

I used to own a custom dark dapple bay on this mold. I thought he was the coolest thing ever when I saw him, wow, the Breyer Lippizan in a color other than white! :D

Breyer should absolutely do some historical colors on this boy.

Anonymous said...

The tour model was my very first Breyer- sometime around 1995.

Carrie said...

I agree, this mold NEEDS bay. But I do have a question on the Wonderful World SR. Have you ever heard of this SR being released under a different 700-series # than the 700393? I got one when the show came to my hometown in 2000 & it has a different box & #. Model looks *mostly* the same, though. It's bugged me for years, & today I've decided to pull everything I can in an attempt to figure this out. You've inspired me!

peach17 said...

I agree we need a bay! Also I have a question, or more of a 'help wanted'. For Christmas I got this lovely Lippizan pegasus. He is very 'different' though. I am not sure if he is a custom, test run, sr, or something else. He has a breyer mark on the inside of his leg, so I am positive it is a breyer, but he is mainly black with brown shading and whit underneath. His eyes have whites and pink in the front. Again he is a pegasus. Please help me! I will try to become a member and post a pic of him if at all possible!
thanks