Sunday, September 20, 2009

Personal Stuff: Ouch!

Long story, made short: I have a bad back that periodically flares up on me, and it came back with a vengeance on Wednesday. It was a combination of me being on my feet for 16 hours the previous day, and an overenthusiastic attempt to kickstart my research that triggered this latest attack.

Yes, I hurt myself while researching. (Those darn Dapples! Knew they’d be nothing but trouble.)

Let me tell you, it’s awfully hard to get much of anything done when you’re bent at a 45 degree angle and unable to sit or stand for more than 15 minutes at a time. The only way I managed to make it to work was with the help of the heated seats in my car (All hail the inventor of heated seats!) and some of my brother’s leftover painkillers from his hernia surgery earlier this year.

I hated to take them, but I had no option. It’s easy to see how so many professional athletes and performers can get hooked on those things. When the pain’s so bad that you nearly pass out, and your throat is sore from the crying, feeling a little out of it becomes an infinitely preferable option.

I’m slightly more functional today. As in, I can walk around the house without gulping down codeine tablets and doing my best impression of an arthritic, 90 year old ex-football player. I did manage to get a little bit of writing done in my more lucid moments, so the regular blog posts and e-mail communications should be back starting tomorrow.

2 comments:

GWR said...

I hear you on that back pain, I've been having problems since I was 21. I don't get spasms as bad or as often as I used to, but they still pop up now and then.

I don't have heated seats, but when I was working at the vet clinic in the winter I'd always make sure to park so the front seats got maximum sunlight. Voila, nice, warm leather seat to drive home on! I cured many a sore back that way.

Hope you're feeling better!

Laura Skillern said...

Mmmm...heated seats. There's nothing like flipping them on a long ride home, especially after a particularly trail ride.